Acoustic LifeArtCreateExploreFitnessGamesGreenLiteraryMusic Style

Wednesday 20 January 2016

Dreaming Big and Believing in Myself

“Decide in your heart of hearts what really excites and challenges you, and start moving your life in that direction. Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow.”

 ~ Chris Hadfield, Canadian Astronaut

I love these words by Chris Hadfield, after watching him talk on Stargazing Live, he strikes me as both a very calm person but also excited.  He clearly is a person who follows his passions.  Reading his quotes on Goodreads.com, he talks about preparing yourself, just in case.  Not only as an astronaut preparing for potential disasters, but also as a person preparing yourself for what you really want to do in life.

"Look at who you want to be, and start sculpting yourself into that person. You may not get exactly where you thought you'd be, but you will be doing things that suit you in a profession you believe in. Don't let life randomly kick you into the adult you don't want to become.”

I feel so inspired by these words.  Like it doesn't matter that I might not be in a financial position to do whatever I wish I could do, that I don't have the right skills or opportunities to live the life of my dreams.  I can still learn and prepare for the time that this may happen.  And no matter what happens in my life, in preparing for what I dream about, I will be partly living the dream, by doing and learning what I love along the way.

When I allow myself to dream, when I watch movies and see people on TV doing the things I would love to do, I sometimes worry I haven't been learning to play a musical instrument from childhood, I haven't practised my art enough so my skills aren't as good as I would like.  I haven't kept my fitness up, I haven't learnt to dance from a child, how can I possibly become an elegant dancer now, surely it's much too late?

But I think there can be unexpected opportunities in your life, it is possible, even if they are only small opportunities to take part in a small local talent competition, should I pluck up the courage, if I don't prepare now, how will I ever be ready?  I think it was around this time last year I discovered a local talent competition, where you could enter now, and the competition would take place at the end of March.  I had a lovely daydream of how I could dig out my keyboard and actually learn to play it, for March.  But if I'd spent time learning how to play it before the competition arose, then I would have been prepared to take up the challenge of the competition.  I just hadn't prepared.  It is worth preparing and seeing where it leads you.

I could say well my time must be passed, I am in my early 30's now, I haven't studied these skills from an early age, I won't be good enough.  But then why not spend my time learning these skills now, having some fun, and being able to enjoy them in my life?  Why can't I follow my dreams and enjoy my life?  After all, I may not get where I dreamed of being, but I may find myself in rather a good spot after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment